Seasalter, Kent - 6th August 2016

I only have a few photos from this day out. We diverted to Seasalter to have a look around.
I had found nothing of note along the sea front and beach areas, so I had a look around along a dyke behind the sea wall (that's a ditch in Kentish lingo for those unfamiliar with the term)

 I finally found a wildflower that I have been looking for, for the last 3 years. I've never found it in West Kent and though I was told they could be found in East Kent, I had completely forgotten about them, until now.

Doesn't look much does it!
It was about 4" tall and looked like a Red Dead-Nettle which it isn't.

It was a Cut-leaved Dead-Nettle

These are rather like Red Dead-Nettles with cut leaves. When said like that it completely fails to communicate to you the excitement I felt when I realised what it was, a new species for me.

The leaves are cut to 3-4mm deep, much deeper than Red Dead-Nettles and the flowers are smaller and few in number.



Lamium hybridum 


Well, with all that excitement over with, back to the usual!

This plant is edible, it's Watercress, just like you buy in the supermarket in a plastic packet. It's got attractive flowers for a crucifer as the centres are tinged purple.

Nasturtium officinale




Mayweeds can all look quite similar. I have a habit of picking some leaves, crushing them and having a sniff. If it smells rotten, it's the rare Stinking Chamomile. However, this one smelt sweet and I looked it up to confirm it as Scented Mayweed. Not at all rare, but outnumbered by the unscented Mayweed by thousands to one in Kent.

Matricaria chamomilla


This was the final plant I photographed on this short diversion to Seasalter, a Branched Bur-Reed. Quite a fascinating species, it easily catches the eye.
There's an unbranched version as well, but I've yet to find any in Kent.



Sparganium erectum


The yellow object behind it was a boom across the dyke to prevent weed build up on a sluice.

That's it, next blog coming soon, as I am trying to catch up with them before they become too out of date with the seasons.

Take care
Dave
@Barbus59

Comments

  1. Hi Dave
    I love your blogs and when I retired earlier this year found I had time to pick up on the botanical interests I had had as a child. Would you mind giving me more detailed directions to the cut leaved Deadnettle you found at Seasalter? Danny

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments welcome from those interested in my articles. For spammers don't bother as I moderate all comments prior to posting them.

Popular posts from this blog

A Journey To Some Fine Kent Orchid Sites 14th May 2016

Orchids and Chalk Grassland Flowers - East Kent 29/04/17

Autumn 2021 - Botanical Finds from Kent